Buying Certified Pre-Owned
An Answer to the Grey Market – Certified Pre-Owned
Coined by the automobile industry, the phrase “certified pre-owned” (CPO), fits perfectly when you are talking about another complex piece of machinery where you need to be sure you can trust it with the lives of people that are important to you. The laser device was owned by someone else before you bought it, and its maker cared enough to make sure it works like new for you as well.
If the manufacturer thinks a laser cannot be salvaged, they’ll make sure it doesn’t end up on the street. If it still has life left in it, they’ll inspect and refurbish it thoroughly, and offer it to you at a reduced cost compared to that of a brand new laser, along with all the peripherals necessary for your success. They’ll back the device because their reputation depends on it, and they’ll have confidence in you, because you cared enough to include them in an important process that’s vital to them, the industry, your practice, and especially your patients. The manufacturer definitely wants to work with you!
As to your bottom line, the cost of trusting a used laser can quickly and easily exceed the savings you may get up front by buying on the cheap. Dealing directly with the manufacturer gives you so much. What do you think your patients would want you to do?
What you Get with Certified Pre-Owned
By enlisting a reputable manufacturer in your effort to purchase a previously used laser device, you may enjoy the benefits (and comforts!) that come with buying a new device.
A reputable manufacturer cares about your satisfaction, and the entire aesthetic medical device industry suffers every time a product is misused. Dealing with the laser manufacturer means that you can answer positively to all the pertinent questions.
The Seller-Do you know who you’re buying from? Yes.
- Who is selling the device, and why? The manufacturer, because they have a stake in my success.
- Is the marketplace really a safe environment for the laser buyer? Nobody is more reputable than the proven company who made the device.
- Does the seller or broker have all the important information, documentation, and references to give you confidence in them? The manufacturer will have all that so make sure you get it. If your seller does not, beware!
- If there is a problem with the sale, who do you go to for help? Any reputable laser manufacturer is available and has the resources to assist with solving the problem.
Performance –How confident are you that you are getting a useful laser device? Very confident.
- How do you know the device will work as expected? The manufacturer will inspect, clean, refurbish, and test its products better than anyone else could.
- Are you properly educated to make informed judgments about the device you’re considering in the first place? A reputable manufacturer will make sure you know everything you need to know and more.
Hidden Costs –Do you know what you’re really going to be paying long term? Yes.
- How soon might you need to replace parts? That is always an unknown, but a machine recertified by its maker shouldn’t need major service quickly.
- What accessories normally available with a new unit will need replacement? The manufacturer should provide you with all the peripherals normally available with a new unit.
- What can you charge patients for each treatment, versus demand? The manufacturer will help you solve these problems by working with you, because your success is their success!
Warranties –Are your out-of-pocket expenses truly less when buying used? What is peace of mind worth to you and your patients?
- What does a warranty cost, and what does it cover? A reputable manufacturer will leave no doubt in your mind and explain everything thoroughly, because they can’t win if you lose.
- Who is backing the warranty? The one entity most capable of backing it-the original equipment manufacturer.
- What conditions must you meet to obtain a warranty on a used laser? Not a problem, because the manufacturer will make sure you’re taken care of.
Maintenance –Will you get the service you deserve before you’ve lost too much money due to downtime? A reputable manufacturer will do everything in their power to make sure you have minimal downtime.
- Who will service your laser? The best people for the job, those who have been fully trained by the manufacturer.
- How quickly can your service provider respond to you? Quicker than anyone else.
- Where will the service provider get their replacement parts? From the source.
- If regulatory bodies require that the manufacturer modify or upgrade their systems, or there are useful software or hardware upgrades, how will they know where to find you? They’ll be right on top of things, working hand-in-hand with you.
Liability –Isn’t this the most important factor to consider? Yes!
- If someone gets hurt or things otherwise go terribly wrong, who is responsible? You still are, but do you really expect a problem when you’re dealing with the manufacturer? If you have a working and well-maintained device with adequate training, what else should you expect from the seller?
While it may seem obvious that buying new should be your first, best option, it is equally obvious that economic factors make this difficult sometimes. But when doctors cut costs or corners, people can get hurt in any number of ways. Going with CPO from a trustworthy manufacturer provides you with the same level of confidence in your new-to-you device that you would hope for from a new device, with a savings to boot. It allows you to wait before adopting a new therapy—and believe this: if the therapy is good, it’s worth waiting for.
A new device is the all-around best bet, but if you want to buy used, go CPO.